Monday, August 1, 2011

Goodwill, True Blood, Books and Creepy 90's Movies

For once I can say I am okay with Bill being in love with Sookie. I say this because he let Eric live. If they would have killed off Eric, I would have been done with the show. I don't want to commit to a show where my only choice is Bill "Messy Eater" Compton.

Matt and I went to Goodwill today. One of my favorite places on earth as they apparently don't know the value of a good book. That's a lucky thing for us book lovers. We can get them for 50 cents a pop. I don't know if I should be appalled or overjoyed. A little of both, I suppose. So I got a few.

Matt got some VHS's.  Total Recall, Happy Gilmore and What Women Want. So far, I am thoroughly creeped out by Total Recall. Even before his secret nanny love child, I found Schwarzenegger creepy. So to see his creepy gap toothed mug pop out of an even creepier middle aged woman was like a Nightmare literally popping out of another nightmare. No seriously. Watch the movie. He was inside this woman. What kind of bullshit was Ronald Shusett smoking? It doesn't help that the 1990's special effects are decidedly the most disturbing I have ever seen.

 Arnold Schwarzenegger is inside this woman.


All three of the books I bought are on "The New York Times Bestseller" list. Yeah, I said it. I don't give a fuck. Popular doesn't always mean it's totally shit. I am one of those people who judge books by their covers and I swear to god the people who choose the books on the list use marketing associates, color psychology and a gaggle of people in hard hats and lab coats to test the tactility. These fuckers are backed. Here they are:

Don't mind the boobs.


This one is about three middle aged southern women traveling down the Mississippi, Huck Finn style.



I am really interested in this one. I was raised Catholic and kind of fell out of it in my early teens. Apparently Garry Wills  ties in the history of the Catholic church with his explanation of his own beliefs and convictions.


This is the one I am really excited about. Telepathy, British period piece and a mysterious group of socialites called "The Order". It's a teen drama for adults. Right up my ally. 
 
I really love Goodwill books. I can tell these have never even been cracked. I could spend all day in there. The Vincennes Goodwill book section is getting no love. And no, that isn't an invite. Fuck off. It's mine. If I see you there I will chase you away toting the heaviest object in reach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! I love going to Goodwill just for the books. They have the best stash! In my price range too. =)