Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Boredom and a Quiche

Kind of blue tonight for some reason. I really can't get a handle on it. So, ever the fatty, I am curing my boredom/moodiness with a little kitchen therapy. I made a quiche. Well, more like a pseudo-quiche. A real quiche is made with milk and a pastry crust. I have no milk, so I guess this is more like an egg casserole. I found this recipe and kind of modified it to fit what I had in my kitchen.

On a completely unrelated note, did anyone realize that "Storage Wars" on A&E is the highest watched program in the channels history? I have seen this show. Matt goes bananas over it.  It's brainless. You get superficial history lessons in pop culture collectables. There is a hairy fat man tricking his rival into overpaying for shitty storage lockers. I don't know where we are headed that this is considered high brow television.

So, the egg casserole: 


Here are the ingredients I used. Most of the veggies are the courtesy of my Grandpa Frank's backyard. I ended up not using the frozen broccoli because there were enough veggies as is. The thing between the eggs and bacon is a zucchini.

pretty veggies

My chives, zucchini and hot peppers all chopped up in pretty colorful piles. I cut the rinds from the zucchini because they are harder to digest. 


Bacon cooking. Look at that pretty caramelization next to the bacon. Too bad we got it at Save-A-Lot. I would love some beautiful bacon with a lower fat content. This was practically all fat.


The bottom of the cake pan lined with shredded mozzarella and crumbled cooked bacon.


Filled the pan with the egg and veggie mixture and topped it off with some more crumbled bacon and mozzarella. Plus some sprinkled flour to get all crispy on top. I am actually really proud of how pretty it looks. I forgot the salt and other seasonings, but the green onions, chili peppers and butter should give it a very complex flavor. I can smell it cooking and it smells fabulous.

Cooking has picked me up a little bit, but I still have this feeling that something is wrong. I have had this feeling in the past and everything turned out okay so history is on my side. But I still can't shake this feeling.

Took three Aleve. Listening to Dr. Drew going on about Warren Jeffs.I haven't been following this case. His wiki page says he's the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Isn't that the Mormon Church? This whole thing is bizarre. I will read more about it in a bit.

Well, here is the final product:




This actually turned out really yummy. Like a giant omelet. The flour really did make a kind of crust. And it tastes fresh, crispy, kind of spicy and hearty. Special thanks to Eden for giving me the idea of a little cooking pictorial after reading her "Cupcakes & Cooties" post.

No comments: